mandag den 13. januar 2014

Where is the best dota community for discussion of strategy / builds / new heroes etc.?

TBH no where, the only place I could think of is dota-allstars. That forum was amazing if anyone brougth up any form of discussion or suggestion, it would most likely be broken down matmatically, gold, exp, cost-benefit analysis, meta comparisions etc. In most of the DA threads it was someone trying to prove their point by theory crafting, presenting the numbers, then treating it like a use case and using data either from play history or meta data to help their point. I a lot of the forums how its mostly "what do you guys think about x,y,z". Leaving it up to the community to break down the math and discussion points for them. You could basically ask "what do you think about the smell of my farts", becasue a lot of the discussions boiled down to the blind leading the blind, with people who were enmaored by the current meta not changing their mind, and letting it be known.

I mean, holy shit BoTs Tinker, the pulling discussion, the BF Dusa, and other aruguments that had literally essays trying to prove their point. The loss of DA really fragmented the community, people either went to DP, or some other language friendly site. The normal response on DA to any suggestion was "show me the proof" it was the poster's burden of proving their suggestion or idea, and not just randomly throwing it in. It was an amazing place every thing was sourced and notated, it was amazing read threads where people disagreed and would use data to back up their points, and even testing out eachother's discussion points in test games to see if it held water.

This was during the day of "hardcore dota", where sitting through 10 a minute loading screen was your entrance fee. Where the standard player was expected to have 3x the number of minutes in cs, and 2x the number of mintues in denies, range hero city, secret vent channels, playing with actual pros on a daily basis and so forth.

I've heard of Pendragon releasing the DA archive back to Icefrog, but I haven't seen or heard of any progression on that front. The forum itself was just more organized, unlike reddit where everything is lumped together in this main subreddit with a few "barely there" supporting subreddits. The strategy section was deep into strategy, and each discussion could go for pages. On Reddit, its hard to find anything interesting, every other post is "omfg singsing unbuttoned his shirt by another button due to heat wave!" or some weird hero worship, or some type of art peice.

I'm not saying the game was better back then, but the community overall was more organized and was very detailed in their arguments. There wasn't an "accepted way" of playing rahter people were more open to ideas as long as you could prove your point. The majority of the posts weren't troll posts, and peopel genuinely wanted to help you or show you how an argument was weak. Mechanics were fleshed out, stuff like that. Instead of bitching about "this is OP" it was more of "okay how do we deal with this, or get around it".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best forums where I learned the most were official playdota forums, particularly
advanced mechanics http://www.playdota.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52
advanced mechanics guides http://www.playdota.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
general/strategy guides http://www.playdota.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108
I was active there like 5 years ago, but I believe it is still up to date with latest patches.
Back in those days also pro players used to participate there, answer questions and post guides, but I think that is not longer true.
Still, it is huge source of dota knowledge.

\\Over and out,
Mexicaner

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar